It’s been a month since I last posted an update. Unfortunately, I wasn’t baking on the beach as I had ton of stuff to manage at work… and some stuff to take care of in the real life 🙂
Anyway, I wanted to share with you a live demo of how the plugin behaves now. It’s not ready for an official release but it should come in the near future. No I won’t / can’t commit on a date.
While it works, some of the code isn’t as good as it should be and I really want to clear that out before the next release.
In parallel, I’m also adding:
- a bug fix for older versions of PHP preventing some “fatal exception”
a user-level security, so only site admins can play along with the settings. (not this time)
That’s about it for now, not much more to add compared to the last post, except this time you can play with the output.
Let me know what you think
A number of plugin users have asked for a
lazyer better way to stay in touch. While there’s always the RSS option, I figured the good old newsletter was probably the less intrusive way for everyone to remain synced.
SO, if you want to receive updates about the future functionalities & releases of this plugin, please subscribe. It’ll take a second, it’s free and I’m not asking anything personal 🙂
I’ve been quite on/off for personal reasons. Based on the feedback I’ve received in the last couple of months, Here’s what the next release will bring to the table :
User interface enhancements
- Many have complained about conflicts VS their installed templates. Even though the code is absolutely valid, I’m rewrite the UI to align on the latest resonsive standards. Hopefully, this should get you covered with legacy HTML conflicts.
Having said that, if your template is not responsive or is not strictly valid, there’s nothing I can do about that. Sounds obvious, but I’ve received seriously weird emails 🙂
- CSS3 will enable rounded corners where applicable and will degrade nicely as it can.
- Color picker
- Couple of additional UI controls will allow you to better merge this with your theme.
Under the hood
- The next release will support shortcode. This will allow you to insert the widget wherever you like. One footnote to that, this might be a child plugin to this main development thread, just so everyone is happy with the UI.
What is NOT coming just next
- The next release will NOT cover the booking.com result page integration into your blog. This will come at a later stage. While this is a relatively simple thing to do technically, there are way too many options and tweaks to cover in order to give your visitors a great online experience. I’ve been testing this for a while on a friend’s site and I don’t want to take the blame for that on a greater scale.
Yes, I’ll industrialize the code in the future, just don’t have enough time right now to do it with a good level of quality.
Please remember this plugin is free and done on my own spare time so you don’t waste yours. If you are being frustrated with the timelines, I do understand the feeling but I can’t do much about it. Buying me a coffee is your best incentive at this stage 🙂
Thanks for your patience
I do apologize for the many many plugin updates. While I’m trying to keep this lively and hope to meet your needs, I clearly need to figure out better acceptance tests ! I’ll think about this for a while… once I’m sure the new code is stabilized and every one is happy.
Being a WP user too, I know how bugging updating plugins can be 🙁
Keep the feedback coming !