As per my previous note, I’ve been working on a number of large updates. I expect the first large update to go live early june.
Till we get there, I released a minor update today for two reason.
1) An anonymous user provided the code for Turkish for the current version of the plugin and I had no reason not to push it live to please some users. I know most people won’t care though !
2) For the non-Turkish speaking folks, I also added a warning notice. The next releases will require some special attention. Don’t just update it while on the go. Make sure you have a few spare minutes ahead of you to make this work. I’ve rewrote the plugin from the ground up and will be using a completely new setup, even for the plugin database. It’s all good stuff really, but like any change, it requires a few minutes to adjust to it.
Also, I’ve noted I had a few broken links on this site as the wordpress.com team asked me to change my initial domain name. Sorry if I didn’t reply to some of your suggestions or freelance requests. I simply never received the notifications.
Head to the download link on wordpress.org or to your installation plugin page.
Let’s be in touch soon and keep the feedback coming (public comments, direct note or features request)!
UPDATED (again): Just deployed 0.2.2 with support for Italian and the ability to select in which browser window the booking.com results show up (self or new).
UPDATED: I deployed 0.2.1 with the missing css file from 0.2. No idea how this was missed from the SVN upload but here you go !
It’s been exactly 2 months this plugin made it to the official WordPress repository. I can’t complain about the number of downloads considering how niche the audience is. Also, thanks for your various notes and the few donations. I can’t say these have been the most rewarding hours of work in my life but it’s good to see some appreciation from strangers 🙂
So what’s new today ? First thing first, I’ve rebuilt the code for searchbox from the ground up. Starting from the Booking.com code, I’ve cleaned the source a bit, added some localization features and made sure I did not break anything. What I’ve been trying to achieve here is really to move away from the standard iframe approach. Although the 90s were great for many reasons, using iframes as part of an online project these days is reaaally bad.
The net change for you, dear plugin users, is simply the code will be running on your servers instead of the booking.com ones. This brings you complete control over the stability of your site and the control of what’s happenning from a clickstream standpoint. This release gives you:
- Calendar fix : your visitors will now see the calendar instead of having them hidden under the iframe.
- No more “height” adjustement necessary.
- Better control over localization. Only 5 languages supported for now but many more to come.
You might also have noticed the url of this site changed to comply with the wordpress.com policy. I wasn’t actually allowed to use the word “wordpress” in my domain name.
Download the latest version of the booking.com wordpress plugin page.
Hopefully you’ll appreciate the update to the plugin. For any new suggestion for the future realeases, please use the tracker or simply drop a note in here.
Just a quick note to let you know the plugin is finally live on the wordpress.org plugin repository. Now only one place to go for all your downloads 🙂
I’ll tidy up the page with screenshots and all. For now, the main thing is really to get it out the door and get moving !
After quite some time discussing with folks around me I decided to start writing a plugin to make it easy entering the Affiliates business.
Sometimes folks might have great ideas on paper. Things just tend to become difficult when it’s time to implement on a website. Leveraging the whole WordPress architecture, this plugin should considerably make things easier for booking.com affiliates willing to start moving the needle on their online sales.
While the plugin is being validated by the wordpress repository team, you can find it hosted on this site This plugin is now hosted on the official wordpress repository ! I’m working on a couple of support notes, screenshots and enhancements already. More to come !